Friday, September 28, 2012

2 Corinthians 11 - (I am out of my mind to talk like this)

Verse one -- the first sentence of chapter 11 tells us where Paul is coming from here.  "I hope you will put up with a little of my foolishness; but you are already doing that."  What is this foolishness Paul speaks of?  He continues his defense of his work with the Corinthians that began in chapter 10, and in chapter 11 gets a little more boastful.

"I do not think I am in the least inferior to those 'super-apostles'"
"I may not be a trained speaker, but I do have knowledge"
"I was not a burden to anyone"

Then in verse 21, he really turns it loose.  He equates his boasting with speaking as a fool, but he can't help himself.  From verse 22 through the end of the chapter, we read of Paul's qualifications, hardships, suffering, and other things endured for the purpose of sharing Christ with the world.  Referring to his list of boasts as foolish, we get a picture of Paul's humility, even in the midst of his boasting.  This comes together in verse 30, "If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness."  God is the one who gets the credit and the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment