Friday, February 3, 2012

Romans 11 - Israel, Gentiles, and branches

"Did God reject his people?  By no means!"

The people of Jacob, the nation of Israel have been set apart as chosen by God.  We see that clearly throughout the Scriptures.  And yet, due to the fallen condition of man, even God's "favorites" find themselves in need of grace (v. 5).  There is no one who has earned his/her way to God.  No one who merits his favor on our own.

Not sure I understand and grasp all the theology in this chapter, but I can read things like:
"because of their (Israel's) transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious" (v. 11).
"And so all Israel will be saved." (v. 26)
"God's gifts and call are irrevocable." (v. 30)

Here's a weird one..."For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all."  (v. 32)  What's that all about?

Mark Twain talked about how it isn't the parts of the Bible he didn't understand that bothered him, it was the parts that he did understand.  There's a bunch in Romans 11 that I know I don't grasp, but the chapter ends with this:

"Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!
Who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has been his counselor?
Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him?
For from him and through him and to him are all things.
To him be the glory forever!  Amen."  (v. 33-36)

That part makes sense to me.  God is awesome, merciful, perfectly loving and all-powerful. Even as I wrestle with passages of Scripture I can't quite wrap my brain around, I know God is revealing Himself to me more each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment