Friday, April 25, 2014

Revelation 3 - Lukewarm

Most of chapter 3 reads like chapter 2.  The messenger angels are to report from Jesus to each of three churches both the good news and bad news about their works and deeds.  They serve as an encouragement and a warning, and then we come to verses 15-17 and read this warning to the church in Laodicea:

"I know your deeds and you are neither cold nor hot.  I wish you were one or the other!  So, because you are lukewarm -- neither hot nor cold -- I am about to spit you out of my mouth.  You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired great wealth and do not need a thing.'  But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked."

I have read commentaries that tell us that the word used for "spit you out" has more of a vomiting connotation that simply just spitting.  So basically Jesus is telling these people that their lukewarm, fence-sitting ways make Him want to puke.  I know His love is infinite and His grace covers all, but He also always tells the truth, apparently in vivid detail sometimes.  These people make Jesus want to puke.  I don't want to be that guy, although I feel like I am often as lukewarm as the Laodiceans.

Have mercy on me Lord, a sinner.  Keep making me into the man You created me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment