Friday, January 10, 2014

1 Peter 2 - Who We Are and More About How to Live

v. 3 The Lord is good.

v. 9-10 Those in Christ are chosen, royal, holy, and God's special possession.  We are called to declare His praises.  We are His people who have been brought into the light and have received His mercy.

v. 11-12 We are called to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against our souls.  That's a big deal.  I certainly ought to avoid things that wage war against me.  And yet, sometimes I am drawn to the very sinful ideas that are designed to destroy me.  Lord have mercy on me.

v. 13-17 We are to submit to human authority out of respect for God.

v. 18-25 We are to submit to human authority, even when the result is suffering, following in the example of Jesus.  The commonly stated caveat to this is that we must submit to authority unless it directly contradicts God's Word.  Then I read verse 23 it makes me wonder where that line is.  Jesus did not retaliate or threaten.  He simply suffered.  And those under whom He suffered were surely not operating in accordance with God's Word.  Verse 21 says that He is our example in this.  I am thoroughly convinced that I cannot idly stand by and allow others (especially those who have no voice) to suffer unjustly.  But perhaps I am supposed to consider myself differently, being willing to suffer unjustly if necessary.  Interesting.  Lord, please show me what these verses mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment