Friday, February 1, 2013

Philippians 4 - Contentedness, peace, and mission

Some of my favorite verses:

"Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again: Rejoice!" (v. 4)

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."  (v. 6-7)

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (v. 12-13)

But in reading through this chapter over and over this past week, I came across something I'm not sure if I've ever noticed before.  Paul is imprisoned in Rome as he writes this letter to the Philippians, and he includes this line, "All the saints send you greetings, especially those who belong to Caesar's household." (v. 22)

So Paul is in prison, and yet he is sharing Christ with those who are imprisoning him.  And the Spirit of God is moving and working to the point that Paul can send greetings from the fellow believers (or saints) who belong to Caesar's household.  I don't know exactly who those people were, but they were at the least, royal to Rome and holding Paul prisoner.  And yet his mission never stops.  He dies a prisoner, but he makes his last earthly home a place of love and sharing Christ, rather than harboring bitterness toward those who would seem to be his enemies.  Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment