Friday, January 6, 2012

Romans 7 - An Inner Battle

After reminding us that sin is always bad in chapter 6, in chapter 7 Paul gives us a glimpse into the struggle each of us deals with as it relates to seeing sin removed from our lives.

We were controlled by the sinful nature, and were bearing fruit for death.  (v. 5)
But through Christ, we have died to the law and are released from the law. (v. 4 and 6)
The law that came from God in the Old Testament is useful to show us what sin looks like, and thus the law is good. (v. 7 and 12)
As a result of my inability to obey and fulfill the law on my own, Jesus took my penalty and punishment. (v. 4 and 25)
In the midst of my faith in Christ, a struggle or battle rages inside me, as my sinful nature "wages war" against God's law in my mind, making me a prisoner of the law of sin. (v. 22-23)
In the midst of that struggle, it's easy to feel hopeless and wretched, and in need of rescue. (v. 24)
Jesus came to rescue us and set us free. (v. 25a)
And yet, the battle rages on. (v. 25b)

No comments:

Post a Comment