Friday, November 25, 2011

Romans 2 -- Glory, Honor and Peace

Lots in this chapter about judgment, wrath, and God giving "to each person according to what he has done."  Verse 9 tells us "there will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil."  Unfortunately, that includes all of us, at least at some level. 

The chapter also gives us glimpses of hope as we see there will be "glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good".  I don't know about you but I'm interested in reaping glory, honor and peace as opposed to trouble and distress.  But I do evil.  I am selfish.  And the end of the chapter we see that the transformation in my life that God desires happens on the inside.  He's not impressed by outward appearances.  He is moving us toward integrity; when my inner and outer lives are congruent with each other.  I can be so far from that sometimes, but in this chapter we begin to understand that despite the severity of our human condition, God is working to make things new as He circumcises my heart (v. 29).

No comments:

Post a Comment