Friday, September 9, 2011

Acts 20 - Man on a Mission

Paul gets out of Ephesus and winds up spending three months in Greece before winding up in Troas.  In Troas, we see Paul's preaching come into question as a young man falls asleep as Paul goes "on and on".  Sounds amusing until young Eutychus falls out the window and dies, before being brought back miraculously by Paul.  I bet that bought him some credibility with the audience for sure.

Determined and "in a hurry" to get to Jerusalem, Paul heads that way but desires to say goodbye to the church leaders from Ephesus, whom he knows he'll never see again.  He sends for them, and delivers a stirring farewell.  He encourages them, warns them, thanks them, and reminds them of the supreme importance of living out one's calling.  "I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me -- the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace."

Amen. 

Next time, on to Jerusalem.

No comments:

Post a Comment