Friday, July 15, 2011

Acts 12 - A Miraculous Escape (and an overlooked martyr)

Chapter 12 of Acts is mostly about Peter - his arrest, imprisonment, escape and reunion his friends.  It's a clear picture of how God works, miraculously at times, to accomplish his purpose.  He obviously wasn't ready for Peter to join James, who was martyred in verse 2.  As I read, it struck me how quickly I glossed over the one verse that described the death of James, the brother of John (not to be confused with the other James mentioned in verse 17).  James, the brother of John, walked with Jesus throughout his ministry.  He was instrumental in the growth of the early church.  Then, at the whim of an evil king, he gets put to death by the sword.  And as I read about it, I barely even notice. 

I thank God for James, those who went before him, and the millions who have died for their faith since.  I thank God for their courage, their commitment to Him, and the legacy their lives have created. 

No comments:

Post a Comment