Friday, April 1, 2011

John 18 - Two betrayals and a sham of a trial

So Judas came to the garden, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and the Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons.

When Jesus said, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground.

Jesus commanded Peter, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?”

“You aren’t one of this man’s disciples too, are you?” she asked Peter.
   He replied, “I am not.”

When Jesus said this, one of the officials nearby slapped him in the face. “Is this the way you answer the high priest?” he demanded.

“You are a king, then!” said Pilate.
   Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”

They shouted back, “No, not him! Give us Barabbas!”

No comments:

Post a Comment