Friday, February 25, 2011

John 14 "Do Not Let Your Hearts Be Troubled"

On the heels of the dramatic prediction of Peter's betrayal/denial at the end of chapter 13, the first words out of the mouth of Jesus in chapter 14 are "Do not let your hearts be troubled".  The theme continues:

v. 2 "I am going to prepare a place for you"
v. 3 "that you also may be where I am"
v. 4 "You know the way"
v. 6 "I am the way, the truth and the life"
v. 12 "anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing.  He will do even greater things than these"
v. 14 "You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it"
v. 19 "Because I live, you also will live"
v. 26 "the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."
v. 27 "Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid"

Start to finish - an entire chapter of reassurance, love, acceptance and hope.  Incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment